I began searching online, reading cookbooks and referring to recipe forums online in order to find something healthy, but high protein. After failing to find anything that fit the bill, I decided to try inventing something.
To my surprise, it was a success! So, here it is, my first ever recipe posting! Enjoy :)
- 6 Roma Tomatoes chopped (mine equated to 638g)
- 1 large Eggplant cut into paper thin slices (mine equated to 718g)
- 2 large Onions chopped (mine equated to 361g)
- 2 large Bell Peppers chopped (mine equated to 364g)
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup of low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbl fresh Basil finely chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper (ground)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 package of light Ricotta (475g)
- 1 package of chopped spinach – defrosted from frozen (mine equated to 318g)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 package of ground chicken (495g)
- 60g mozzarella (light)
On high heat, heat the olive oil in a pot. Place the chopped onions and bell peppers into the pot and cook until onions are brown. Reduce the heat to medium/low and place the chopped tomatoes into the pot along with the vegetable broth and basil. Let simmer for 10mins.
Next, stir in the tomato paste along with the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Using a handheld blender, blend the vegetables into a thick sauce.
Set aside to cool.
Step 2 – Filling
While the sauce is cooling, mix together the Ricotta, Spinach and egg in a separate bowl. Set aside.
Next, brown the ground chicken in a separate pan and set aside.
Step 3 – Egg Plant
Place the eggplant slices on a pan covered in tin foil. Broil in the oven for 5 mins.
Step 4 – Assemble
Using a large casserole dish, begin layering the lasagna as follows: Sauce, eggplant, ricotta cheese, eggplant, all of the chicken, ricotta cheese, eggplant, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella.
Bake for 35mins and then broil for 5-10mins until cheese toping is brown. Serves 6 – 8.
Cut into 6 pieces – Calories: Fat: Carbs: Protein:
Cut into 8 pieces – Calories: Fat: Carbs: Protein:
(I will post the macros soon)